Green Veggie Scramble
When it comes to breakfast, I’m more of a salty foods person than sweet. This usually means some kind of eggs, so I decided to throw together a scramble instead of heading for the more usual eggs and toast. This green scramble is packed with protein and vitamins, not to mention delicious. This is very easy to make, and only takes 5 minutes to cook from prep to plate. Besides breakfast, this can also make a good lunch or dinner. This recipe is naturally gluten free.
GREEN VEGGIE SCRAMBLE
- 2 eggs [can substitute a similar amount of egg whites or egg beaters]
- splash of non fat milk [optional]
- a handful spinach, rinsed & roughly cut or torn
- 1 green onion, minced
- half an avocado, sliced
- salt and pepper to taste
- Crack eggs into a bowl, add milk and whisk together.
- Place small pan on the stove at medium-low heat.
- Scramble eggs together; when the eggs are almost done cooking, mix in spinach and green onion.
- When eggs are cooked, put on a plate and top with avocado, salt, and pepper. [feel free to add in cheese or other vegetables, such as zucchini or leeks]
Asparagus Bacon Hash
This meal is a one pan kind of dish, which makes it perfect for a simple breakfast, brunch, or dinner. It’s a fairly well rounded dish, with vegetables, carbs, and meat. Because it’s also very versatile, you can easily add in or change around different vegetables or seasonings. I made it for brunch and topped it with an egg, but it would also go well with tofu, chicken, etc. I came across a similar dish on Smitten Kitchen and just changed a couple things around. This recipe is also naturally gluten free, and if made without bacon is also vegan.
ASPARAGUS BACON HASH
- 6-8 pieces of bacon, sliced into small pieces
- 1 lb of Yukon gold potatoes, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 1 small yellow onion, diced small
- 1/2 lb asparagus, cut into 1 inch pieces
- extra virgin olive oil
- salt & pepper to taste
- Put bacon in a large pan over medium heat. Cook bacon until it’s crispy and dark in color. Remove bacon from the pan and drain on a paper towel. Leave the heat on and the bacon renderings in the pan. Add 1 tablespoon of olive oil; if you skipped the bacon add 2 tablespoons of olive oil.
- Add the potatoes to the pan and season with salt and pepper. Let them sit for a couple minutes, to brown underneath. Flip them, then let them brown again for a couple minutes.
- When the potatoes are about 3/4 as crispy and browned as you want them, add in the onion.
- Cook for another 5 minutes or so or until the onion is soft and had color. Add the asparagus and cover the pan. Cook for 5-8 minutes or until cooked.
- Take off the lid then add the bacon back into the pan. Add additional seasoning if needed.
Bagel Breakfast Sandwich
I am a big believer in breakfast. You don’t have to have a big, involved breakfast everyday, but I think it’s always worth eating something before you start the day, whatever you may be doing. So on the days where I have time to make a nice breakfast, I will because I never regret it. This sandwich is a kind of breakfast BLT, with some eggs thrown in, but as is often the case, feel free to change out some veggie sausage for bacon, or add in some cheese or grilled zucchini, etc. This breakfast is gluten free, as long as you put it all on a gluten free bagel or bread.
BAGEL BREAKFAST SANDWICH
makes one sandwich
- 1 bagel
- 2 eggs
- 1 splash of nonfat milk [optional]
- 2 pieces of bacon
- 1 handful of baby spinach, rinsed
- salt & pepper to taste
[for those gluten free: choose a gluten free bagel or bread option]
- Cut bagel in half and toast to your liking.
- Put bacon in skillet on medium heat, turn pieces over every minute until cooked. I like my bacon extra crispy, so it took about 8 minutes. When bacon is done, place on a paper towel to cool.
- Crack eggs into small bowl and add a splash of milk. Whisk together until combined, then pour into another skillet on medium-low to medium and scramble them together.
- Take bagel out of toaster, add layer of spinach, then bacon, and top with eggs, adding salt and pepper to your liking.