Asparagus Bacon Hash
This meal is a one pan kind of dish, which makes it perfect for a simple breakfast, brunch, or dinner. It’s a fairly well rounded dish, with vegetables, carbs, and meat. Because it’s also very versatile, you can easily add in or change around different vegetables or seasonings. I made it for brunch and topped it with an egg, but it would also go well with tofu, chicken, etc. I came across a similar dish on Smitten Kitchen and just changed a couple things around. This recipe is also naturally gluten free, and if made without bacon is also vegan.
ASPARAGUS BACON HASH
- 6-8 pieces of bacon, sliced into small pieces
- 1 lb of Yukon gold potatoes, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 1 small yellow onion, diced small
- 1/2 lb asparagus, cut into 1 inch pieces
- extra virgin olive oil
- salt & pepper to taste
- Put bacon in a large pan over medium heat. Cook bacon until it’s crispy and dark in color. Remove bacon from the pan and drain on a paper towel. Leave the heat on and the bacon renderings in the pan. Add 1 tablespoon of olive oil; if you skipped the bacon add 2 tablespoons of olive oil.
- Add the potatoes to the pan and season with salt and pepper. Let them sit for a couple minutes, to brown underneath. Flip them, then let them brown again for a couple minutes.
- When the potatoes are about 3/4 as crispy and browned as you want them, add in the onion.
- Cook for another 5 minutes or so or until the onion is soft and had color. Add the asparagus and cover the pan. Cook for 5-8 minutes or until cooked.
- Take off the lid then add the bacon back into the pan. Add additional seasoning if needed.
- xstarlitex231 likes this
- goawaycreepers likes this
- danksthekitten likes this
- shemarriedacloud said: I’ve modified this recipe from Smitten Kitchen too! It’s really good with sweet potatoes if you’re like me and have to have sweet flavors in every meal.
- withagrainofsalt likes this
- thewholesomekitchen posted this