Blueberry Lemon Cake
Recently, I was driving along the coast and came across a pick-your-own-blueberries farm. So, we had to stop and pick some because they were really cheap and amazingly delicious. We ended up with way more blueberries than a normal group of people can eat, so I had to find some delicious recipes that involved lots of blueberries. I came across a recipe for a cake in Jaime Oliver’s Italy that was all about these awesome berries, so I decided to try it out, and it was delicious. Whether you pick your own or get them from the store, the beginning of summer is the best time to get them. This recipe is nearly gluten free - see below for details.
BLUEBERRY LEMON CAKE
- 4 eggs
- 1 1/4 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 3/4 cup vegetable oil
- 3/4 cup milk
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 3 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- zest of 3 large lemons
- 3 cups blueberries
[for those gluten free: substitute gluten free flour for unbleached all-purpose flour; also vanilla extract may contain gluten]
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Put eggs and sugar into a large bowl and mix together thoroughly.
- Add extra virgin olive oil, vegetable oil, milk, and pure vanilla extract and mix well.
- Mix in flour, baking powder, and salt.
- Gently mix in lemon zest until fully blended. Set aside for 10 minutes to allow the flour to absorb the liquid.
- Stir about a third of the blueberries into the batter and pour into a cake pan coated with vegetable spray.
- Bake for 15 minutes, then remove it and place the rest of the blueberries on top. Gently push the berries into the batter, then cook for 35 - 45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Let cool for 10 minutes then enjoy!