Chocolate Avocado Cake
Okay, I know this may sound crazy, but I think I found the desert made just for me. I realize that many of you probably think I’m crazy or something, but I promise you this cake is amazing. I found it on Joy the Baker and knew that I had to have it in my life as soon as possible, because I’m all over anything that includes avocados AND chocolate. I made this for the first time at a little dinner party with some close friends, where only two out of the nine people there were excited to try it. But guess what? Everyone loved it. Even the girl who “doesn’t like desserts” and the guy who “pretty much hates vegan food” [their words, not mine]. So, if you’re searching for a dairy-free / vegan / dessert that uses avocados / just a super moist chocolate cake you have come to the right place. Honestly.
CHOCOLATE AVOCADO CAKE
makes one cake of 2 8-in or 9-in rounds
- 3 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 6 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 cups sugar
- 1/4 cup vegetable or almond oil
- 1 medium ripe avocado, mashed [about 1/2 cup]
- 2 cups water
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- 3 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
avocado frosting ingredients
- 2 medium ripe avocados [about 1 cup]
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 3 1/2 cups powdered sugar, unsifted
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
[for those gluten free: use a gluten free flour instead of all-purpose flour; some brands of cocoa powder, white vinegar, and vanilla extract may contain gluten]
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Sift together flour, cocoa powder, salt, baking powder & baking soda into a medium bowl.
- Mix mashed avocado, vegetable oil, water, white vinegar & vanilla extract into a large bowl. Add sugar and mix in.
- Add the cocoa mixture to the avocado mixture, mixing well until smooth. I had to use an electric hand mixer to really blend all the smaller pieces together.
- Spray cake tins with nonstick spray and pour in batter. Bake for 30-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the middle comes out clean.
- Let cakes cook in the tins for 15 minutes, then finish cooling completely on cooling racks before frosting.
- For the frosting…. Peel and pit the avocados, get rid of any brown spots. If you have a stand mixer you can use it, but an electric hand mixer works just fine also. Put the avocado and lemon juice into a medium bowl and whisk the avocado until smooth, a few minutes. Add in the sugar a little at a time, blending after each addition, then finally add the vanilla. If not using right away, store in the fridge.
- survivingsc reblogged this from thewholesomekitchen and added:
- shiloh911 reblogged this from thewholesomekitchen
- fiainros reblogged this from thewholesomekitchen
- bloodtrips likes this
- emmettbennett likes this
- auartifice likes this
- chellehealthy reblogged this from thewholesomekitchen and added:
- chellehealthy likes this
- leftatthetrafficlight reblogged this from thewholesomekitchen
- leftatthetrafficlight likes this
- moustachey likes this
- megancolleen likes this
- helloktee likes this
- -wideeyes reblogged this from thewholesomekitchen
- ladyherschel likes this
- dorkboy likes this
- compulsion-dexpression likes this
- yoonicorns likes this
- aneraofara reblogged this from thewholesomekitchen
- superemmasally likes this
- matrodial likes this
- ravensmuse reblogged this from thewholesomekitchen
- imfictional likes this
- thewholesomekitchen posted this