Asparagus Shiitake Tofu Stir-Fry
I’ve never tried to cook tofu myself, so I figured now would be a perfect time to try it. I found some detailed instructions on how to cook or "dry fry" tofu so that it turns out solid and flavorful, instead of crumbly and bland [my worst tofu nightmare]. It’s easy to customize this dish to your liking, or whatever vegetables you have on hand [but i do think that the sauce compliments the asparagus nicely]. It is a long list of ingredients, some of which you may not have as standard kitchen fare, but it’s much easier than it seems at first. This dish is naturally gluten free and vegan.
ASPARAGUS SHIITAKE TOFU STIR-FRY
- about 3 cups Jasmine rice
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 14-16 oz extra-firm tofu
- 1 bunch fresh asparagus, cut into pieces
- 12 oz Shiitake mushrooms, sliced
- 1/4 onion, diced
- 2-3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup gluten free soy sauce
- 1/8 cup rice wine
- 1/2 tablespoon ginger root, grated
- 1 tsp brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons Hoisin or Kecap Manis or similar sauce
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon white pepper
- 5 1/2 tablespoons gluten free soy sauce
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons ginger root, grated
- 1 1/2 tablespoon rice wine
- 3 tablespoons water
[for those gluten free: there is a gluten free Hoisin & Kecap Manis sauce, but not all may be]
- Cut Tofu into 1/2 inch thick triangles. Press between paper towel or cloth to squeeze out extra moisture. Place a non stick pan or cast iron skillet onto medium heat. Place tofu in pan, without any oil and press with spatula. The tofu is done when golden on both sides. It’s easier to cook when you do smaller amounts at a time, so you have more room to flip the pieces.
- Mix all marinade ingredients in a bowl, then add tofu, submerging the pieces. If all tofu pieces aren’t covered, add in extra water.
- Start to cook the rice in rice cooker or according to directions.
- Add all sauce ingredients in a sauce pan, then place on medium heat. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 3-4 minutes. Take off of heat.
- Heat a large pan or wok to medium high heat and add vegetable oil, then drained tofu, asparagus, and mushrooms. [You can add a little bit of the marinade for extra flavor] Stir until asparagus and mushrooms are cooked.
- Take off of heat and pour in sauce. Mix until sauce coats tofu and vegetables. Serve over rice.